Change Log DX rebranding (June 2020) build 1.60
The DX rebranding was done for the game's console release to account for the 16 major updates since the PC launch in October 2019.
- Final touches to the platforming engine, sound FX and the early-game‘s flow.
- Pressing F2 during gameplay will now show the game-timer for you speedrunners out there
- Option to manually adjust screen margins/ HUD placement
Change Log build 1.59 (May 2020)
- Teleporter connections now show-up in the game's map
- Complete visual rework of the game's last area "The Sanctum".
- The helmet light can now be tuned to 3 variants: Blue (original sprite), dark and shadow; for this call the equipment menu in-game and shift with left stick up/down.
- Treasure walls will not block any paths anymore and just be used on Wozan cages. The old roadblocks may have harmed the progress of players that rescued many Wozan forcing them to backtrack for more treasure.
- More treasures were hidden in general, for a better chance to free all Wozan.
- Pink doors can now also be opened with missiles.
- Some rooms were redesigned and balanced for a better game-flow, especially in the early game.
- The input buffer for dode rolling introduced in build 1.58 could lead to an unintended dodge input after ending dialogues
- Splash-FX on water surfaces failed when wall-running with the Galvanizer
- Game time and death count could get mixed-up between multiple save files
- More pixel-shader optimizations
Change Log Build 1.58 (Apr 2020)
- Steam rolling in Homunculus form will now maintain the stance. If you also have the Spin Blade equipped, you can now dash while rolling into lava or acid.
- Boss names are now displayed over their health bars.
- Nikolay's face now is darker, providing a more badass look
- Implemented input buffers for executing the Steam roll: It will now also trigger if you‘ve just leaped over an edge or if the input is a little early before landing. This also fixes the issue of accidentally activating the jetpack in heated combat situations that some players reported
Change Log Build 1.57 (Apr 2020)
- Performance optimizations, done in the process of porting the game to consoles
- Some more asset and sprite improvements
- Rebalancing of missile drops: Picking up one missile item will now restore 3 missiles
- Rebalancing of rescued Wozan spawning during boss fights with health drops
- A bigger chunk of the Corridium Mines is now open to be explored in the early game
- Achievements now unlock directly during gameplay, in case you're playing offline, they'll be dragged from local saves and transmitted on the next reboot.
- Game menus are restored after minimizing the game
- Fixed a rare bug that could corrupt the map save-file.
Change Log build 1.55 (Mar 2020)
- New final scene added to the staff roll
- HUD elements polish, especially the equipment screens and boss rush menu
- Rework of Buddy‘s scanning ability, new icon elements, graphics, and sound FX
- Wozan now speak a little gibberish
- New prompts giving clues on how to handle the game‘s more obscure bosses
- Full visual rework of the last two bosses Nocturne and Xion
- New idle stance for the player sprite as well as some minor other tweaks
- Optional mechanism in the Buluc boss room to tune down his difficulty
- Bosses will expose CoOp specific weak spots only on actual CoOp, as doing this on single-player confused some players.
- Shooting and Charge-Shooting directly after a double jump or wall jump is easier now
- Buddy can now accelerate by holding the run button LT, due to a legacy issue this was only possible with LB in previous builds
- Rebalanced the volume of some clipping sound FX
- Rework of the game‘s map, now showing all connections between rooms
- The menu cursor could move out of place in rare circumstances
- Fixed a possible soft lock in the transition between lower mines and the Cenote area
- Holding the run button on gamepads blocked activating some facilities and speaking to Wozan
Change Log build 1.54 (Mar 2020)
- Full localization of all in-game dialogues and tutorials as well as most of the menu texts to Chinese, French, German, Japanese, Korean and Russian. More languages will follow in the future, I hope the localization will bring more players on board and provide me the needed resources for this!
- Adjusted intro sequence and completely new staff-roll, showcasing all of the game‘s creatures in a bestiary and featuring a new cutscene done by my brother Tobi.
- A new boss rush mode was added to the game. It unlocks once you‘ve finished the game, hooked to having the “Final Curtain“ achievement unlocked. You will then be able to challenge each boss in an instant-death duel. Managing to beat all of them will unlock the new achievement “King of Monsters“.
- Movie playback is now compliant with playing the game on Linux using Steam Proton. The only thing you still need to do is installing the needed custom fonts manually (see Linux thread).
- Started reworking some in-game HUD elements, more polish will follow with the next update.
- The player is now invincible while entering ore leaving a teleporter.
- Pausing the game during screen transitions could result in a black screen.
- Some spitters would continue erupting when frozen.
Change Log build 1.53 (Jan 2020)
- “Continue Session“ feature: You can now restore your last run without having saved. This feature will respawn you at the last gate you entered and allows quitting the game anytime. Please note that you‘ ll still need to activate save points to permanently store your game on its selected save slot, this is especially important in case you have saved games on multiple slots in parallel. To start using this new feature, load any saved game or start a new one. Then it will be available after quitting your run.
- I’ve added a new Easter Egg to the game. Let’s see who finds it first. A lot of players would be thankful for sure XD.
- New shortcuts were added to the map layouts. There’s now a vertical shaft looping back to the Great Portal after the Tam Tam Miniboss. Also, a new teleporter was placed in the upper Toxic Swamps, looping you back to close to the swamp’s Wozan village.
- New Sound FX were added for enemies spitting acid or fire.
- The game’s fonts were modified for a clearer input display. Linux/ Steam-Proton users, please manually download and install the new fonts on your system:
- Gates and ceilings are more robust against accidental OOB glitching.
- Fixed weird air-hovering that could occur with some crawler AIs
- The Blackthorn Miniboss had lost his health bar in build 1.52.
- Fixed a game-breaking bug where players dying with the Missile Launcher equipped, directly after acquiring it, would respawn with a dysfunctional launcher unable to switch back to the plasma gun.
- Pausing the game in the exact same frame-time a dialogue triggers would induce a black screen.
- The in-game options menu would scale too small in some room layouts.
Change Log Build 1.52 (Jan 2020)
- Dialogue System: Implemented a new font-based text display. This was an important step to fully localize the game in the next weeks.
- User Interface: Completely reworked the game’s options menu. The gameplay options are now separated from the PC-specific system configuration. Players now have the ability to manually select gamepad layouts for Xbox, PS4 and Nintendo Switch in the system configuration tab. All in-game button prompts and tutorials, as well as background billboards, will adjust accordingly.
-Visuals: Added a huge set of assets from pixel artist Daniel Szadi, spicing-up the game’s backgrounds and tilesets to create even more memorable places. https://www.artstation.com/szadi83
Design Changes and Fixes
- As a side-effect of our localization efforts and the new tutorials, the Direct Input gamepad support had to be abandoned. I had come to the conclusion that it was rarely used and, on the other hand, caused a lot of confusion. You’re still able to configure keyboard inputs in-game, of course.
- Compatibility mode for Steam Proton added to the system options. Selecting this mode will auto-skip the intro sequence as well as the staff roll, as movie playback currently is not working on Linux. We’ll find a better solution in the future. Also, make sure to download and manually install the needed custom fonts for build 1.52 if you’re on Linux.
- Fixed some smaller glitches and typos.
-Please let me know if you experience any issues with build 1.52. Following the console porting process, huge parts of the codebase had to be adjusted or were even completely redone!
- I also left the build 1.51 on Steam in the beta tab. Right-click Outbuddies → Properties → Betas → Choose “last build”. A password is not needed.
Change Log Build 1.51 (Dec 2019)
- Simplified hacking mechanics: Buddy will now just level up and will then be able to hack enemies equal or lower his hacking level. The key-chain mechanic with the need for aligning the right protocol with your aim-line was removed in total.
- The wall jump air control got a larger input buffer, as some players tended to accidentally shorten their wall jumps by pushing against the wall for too long.
- Tutorial billboards were adjusted and reworked for more clarity
- The player will be granted + 1 health on every respawn to combat situations where players got stuck in difficult situations on low health ending in a frustrating “death loop”.
- The main menu now starts with the cursor set to “Options”, as some players reported being at risk to accidentally override their saved games with the cursor starting on “New Game”.
- Hit-Fx of big boss sprites were adjusted to be compliant with photosensitive epilepsy guidelines
I also noticed that many players would quite unintentionally do heavy sequence breaks and have a rather sub-par experience. Build 1.51 will change some key rooms, there's still plenty of room for sequence breaking and branching paths though.
- Entering the Moxan Boss room through the “backdoor” will no longer be possible.
- Getting the Bubble Beam will require the Steam Boots, so the Nautilus boss cannot be missed
- Advancing to Topa and getting the Jetpack/Triple jump will require the Bubble Beam, making sure players won’t have to fight Topa without the Steam Boots equipped.
- Venturing deeper inside the lower Corridium mines will require the Bubble Beam, Galvanizer and Homunculus. Especially the lower mines had a high risk of soft-locking players that went off-track.
Btw, I'm sure you'll work around the new obstacles again, but it will be a lot more difficult for sure^^
- Assigning the camera to Buddy failed if player 2 chooses the mouse-setup to control Buddy.
- Removed old legacy code that may have corrupted split-second inputs for high-level keyboard players
- Fixed more spelling errors
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.50
- Modified the game's color grading shader to allow more colors.
- Reworked the Buluc boss sprite.
- New option to choose a CRT shader with scaling interpolation
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.49
- Getting the Jetpack upgrade will now also unlock a triple jump ability.
- Performing a wall jump with the Spin Blade instantly refills the Steam Meter
Next to the enhanced running speed (build 1.48), those changes will now unlock Outbuddies` full mobility potential and enable speed-techs on a completely different level.
- The Jetpack movement consumes less Steam Meter and can also directly connect to a Steam Jump
- Buluc Boss Fight: Evade spots are now prompted, giving a better clue about the basic approach
- Dropping from platforms is now accelerated to make it more suitable as an evade-strategy
- Changed CoOp menu handling: Only the Nicolay player will be able to control the menu
- The Topa Boss fight could be cheesed when accessing the room with late-game equipment
Bugfixes & Performance
- Implemented a more aggressive particle handling to ensure stable FR on lower-end setups
- Shifting from a zoomed-out CoOp display to the 360p compatibility fix was not working correctly
- Plants sometimes covered the tutorial billboards in the backgrounds
- The map progress achievements are re-implemented. To claim your achievements with a saved game, load your map screen, then exit to gameplay again and wait for 2 seconds. The achievement should unlock on the game‘ s main screen when exiting after that.
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.48
- Added over 40 new background assets and tile-variations to the game to provide more guidance and give each sub-biome and key room a look to remember. The assets were made by pixel artist Louis Zuno. I just recently started supporting him on Patreon. https://www.patreon.com/ansimuz/posts
- The 8-bit color mode was replaced by a "Muted Backgrounds" option. While I personally prefer it colorful you may now use this to turn backgrounds grayscale and darken them as well. The 8-bit option was dropped cuz it seemed rarely used and the colors really were too hard on the eyes in some areas.
- Run speed is now 200% of the walking speed (compared to 150% in the earlier builds).
- The Steam Dash underwater is a bit faster
- Bombs will now be auto-attached to enemies more generously when in crawling or Homunculus (ball) mode.
- The Spin Blade now does double damage
- Made the Topa boss room robust to sequence breaking. Leaving the room through the ceiling gate with late-game equipment permanently glitched it.
- Executing a Corridium dash on a vertical room transition could lead to wall glitching
- Holding joystick left when calling the options would cause a black screen
- The claw arm of Razoth would not generate properly in rare cases
- Tutorials would not display correctly when playing with a keyboard + mouse setup
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.47
- Gamepad rumble can now be turned off in the options menu
- Map scrolling can now be inverted in the options menu. The default control was set back to regular.
- The Moxan Boss now has a better visual clue how to beat it
- Reworked object accelerations to allow more precise telekinetic movements with Buddy
- Simplified rotation control on telekinesis. Objects will now always rotate clockwise.
- The code for gamepad rumble transmission induces a high CPU load on weapon-charging
- Implemented a new resolution option [Fixed 360p]. This is a compatibility fix that solves rare issues with window-flickering on room transitions on Windows 7 as well as crashes that occurred with screen-recording software that hooks to DX9 APIs. This option will create black borders on non-standard resolutions and a zoom-out on CoOp ist no longer possible.
- Feeding the Soul Eater by holding [LB] had stopped working on build 1.46, you had to hold [LT] instead. Now both inputs are valid.
- Fixed issues with gamepad rumble not triggering on CoOp play.
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.46
New wall jump input: Close to a wall, any horizontal joystick input + jump will now execute the wall jump. So the common input most games use [push towards wall + jump] is now supported as well.
Improved early game tutorials. Adjusted some pictorials, especially the ones explaining hacking were very confusing. The Outbuddies Wiki can now also be called from the main menu, providing in-depth explanations and GIF images of the game's mechanics and controls.
Two more hacking protocols were hidden to enable reaching level 6 now (Red Hat Achievement). I had messed the protocol count up, sorry for that.
Here are the hints for those completionists.
1. The first one is hidden in the perfect room to hide an Easter Egg
2. The second one is where all the other eggs are
Btw. the map-progress achievements are still broken and removed on Steam, I'll fix it ASAP.
x Mashing buttons in tubes and during screen transitions could lead to game-breaking wall glitches
x Heavy impulses close to the ceiling could lead to wall-glitching
x The Nocturne Boss could be glitched to death by pausing the game in a specific sequence
x Collecting missile tanks before the launcher still was not robust to sequence breaking
x Rare bug in the loading routine granting you weapons you don't own yet
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.45
New control schemes for gamepad modes
XInput mode (default, made for modern gamepads with Right Stick & Shoulder-Trigger functionality)
New button mapping. Xbox Gamepad.
[X] = Fire weapon slot 1; Buddy Telekinesis
[Y] = Shift slot 1
[B] = Fire weapon slot 2
[Right Stick] down = Shift slot 2
[Right Stick] up = Call Buddy. Coded large dead zone to avoid accidentally shifting to Buddy.
[A] = Jump; Scan with Buddy, Rotate selected stone with Buddy
[RB] = Steam Button/ Dodge; Select object with Buddy, Build block on CoOp
[RT] = Aim upwards, Strafe underwater; Rotate Buddy's keychain
[LB] = Action Button: Interact, Talk, place Bombs; Accelerate Buddy
[LT] = Run Button, Strafe underwater, Rotate Buddy's keychain
(--> For XInput mode Run and Action buttons are now separated).
DirectInput mode (6-8 button retro-gamepads, no Right-Stick or Trigger functions)
Changed default button mapping. DirectInput controls can be remapped in the [Input Mapping] tab.
New movement abilities: Player is now able to aim downwards while jumping forward by pressing the joystick diagonal-down. Larger deadzone for joystick-down input to avoid accidentally aiming down when jumping forward.
Inputs for map scrolling are now inverted
Buddy Telekinesis: Abandoned the push/pull mechanic in favor of pull only. A lot of players were confused or annoyed by the old implementation.
Adjusted some key-rooms in the Toxic Swamps due to a high danger of soft-locking when venturing in that area without the proper equipment.
More Treasure Medals were hidden in the game's last area (Sanctum), for a better chance to rescue all Wozan or use a resurrection batch in the last boss battle.
Rebalanced drop chances to account for players low on health or missiles.
Rebalancing of some sound Fx volumes.
Improvements in the tutorial section.
Fixed various typos and grammar errors in the dialogues.
Improved the jump-buffering readout
Rare animation bug when falling corrupting the double jump input
Player was able to jump while activating a teleporter
Player was able to double jump after being killed
Fixed animation bug when respawning in a crouching stance
Upgrade chains and Achievement unlocking should now be robust to heavy sequence breaks.
CHANGE LOG BUILD 1.44
Hotfix that replaces a broken room layout in the Toxic Swamps.